Sunday, October 30, 2011

What's Around the River Bend?






Yesterday I went out for a bikeride. I had no particular destination in mind - just time and some energy. Chose a direction and headed off.

Along the way I found a little shrine inside a bamboo forest. Bamboo is probably the coolest kind of wood. How does it come up looking the so uniform every time?? Within the shrine clearing, there was also a [seemingly] abandoned house. I started snooping around, peering in and opening doors until I realized that someone might actually live there after all. Nevermind all the spiderwebs, dust, and junk lying around. Would an ancient looking house really have modern cooking appliances lying around if it were really abandoned? Shut the kitchen door quietly and skidaddled.

Next I came along a giant patch of flowers. It was about the size of a rice field, set up with rows and everything. Only, the product was beauty rather than food. There was a lovelove couple strolling through the pretties, and some elderly women also making their way through, cameras at the ready. After taking my picture, they had a good time asking all about where I'm from, the stay in Japan, etc. Just around the corner from there was another big patch of pink flowers in bloom.
Not far from there was a pottery shop.
As I went further toward the mountains, I saw one of those big retaining walls up close. Up the side ran a tiny orange ladder. "Imagine climbing that!" I said to myself. After a moment or two of consideration, I did more than just imagine it.
However, I saw a snake right away, had to go through countless webs hosting bright yellow and blue spiders with a body the size of a nickel, and there was no ladder to the second tier. Gave up after that, but it was worth a try, right?
Continued on the road into the mountains, just wanting to see what was around the next bend. The road began to elevate, houses and cars lessened, and the nearly-dry riverbed took on some white water rapid qualities. "If you see a path into the woods, follow it!" Or so I did when I saw one. It led up and up, zigzagging around the side of a really large hill. Just as I was beginning to wonder how much farther it would be, a giant metal structure loomed overhead. It was a nice view, and nice hike.


On my way home I found a GIANT aloe bush, chatted with a fisherman about his odd choice of fishing spot (on top of a canal gate), and ran into the obaachan that has been giving me bagfulls of vegetables and fruit every time I pass by her house.

Got back 4 hours later, tired, hungry, and happy. I was going to title this post "Favorite Part of Japan", but really, you can do this anywhere. Set out and see what you find. Take an open mind and lots of free time.


Thanks for reading!


5 comments:

  1. Chelle that sounds like such a fun adventure!!! Albeit the snakes and spiders I could do without. What a great exploration. May I just remind you that that was breaking and entering ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I neither broke nor entered!
    And I KNEW you'd have to comment on that part. ;) While writing, "Justine's gonna have a fit about this."

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I am so just giving you a hard time. I knew that you would go explore some abandoned buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you Chelle, explore away, you can ask forgiveness later. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the best parts of Japan. Aimless wandering.

    "If you see a path into the woods, follow it!"
    Lesson lesson 3: If you see a stranger, follow him!

    ReplyDelete