Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Flower for You

As I near the end of my time here, I love looking around and reflecting on the little life I've created here. It's funny how in just three years I already have "old friends" that I run into in the store or on the streets. Last week I rode out to my favorite thrift shop, the Sun and Green, in search of a dress for Saturday's work party. Not only did I find a cute dress, but also gifts for 4 other people! They all totaled in at about $17.


While browsing, I ran into a couple people I know there. First was Abe-kun, one of the workers who's always hanging around the clothes area. Every time I come he announces to shoppers in the vicinity that we're the same age, and have you met Rochelle-san? He also likes to show me pictures of his girlfriend, Jenny. He talks about her with such force that I'm not sure she really exists. So there was Abe-kun, and after he saw me at the dish bins and ran inside from the cold, out came another lady I met two years ago at a Thanksgiving party. She orchestrated a big showing of this foreign movie, Leonie, in the dying town of Kamojima. The turnout was huge! I hadn't had a chance to see or hear from her since then, though, so what a surprise. She only talked for a bit, before getting too cold (it was very windy and getting late). As I finally went inside and walked through the rest of the store, they'd pop around the corner and start up a new conversation. Just before checking out with all my treasures, the lady added another bag to my pile. Inside was a little bouquet from her garden, all fragrant and in beautiful bloom. I biked home with the bag balanced neatly on a handlebar feeling grateful for this life.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable dress. It's so you. The flower arrangement is stunning. You are going to miss all your friends and your life over there.

    ReplyDelete